After upgrading wo Windows 8.1 from 8.0 I can no longer properly play sound:
I can play sounds like this:
Windows Control panel "Sound" without HTMI cable connected: Yes
Netflix without HTMI cable connected: Yes
Windows Control panel "Sound" with HTMI cable connected: Yes, but immediately followed by warning that the sound device is used by another program
Netflix "Sound" with HTMI cable connected: No (infact Netflix player stops and asks me to reboot)
These are tthe things I have tried:
- add/remove/disable High definition audio controller (there are two)
- making sure no other software is running (to my knowledge)
- checked acer download site, but notthing with audio available from there (and I believe I have newest bios etc.)
- did download another driver program which said there was a new high definition audio controller available, but it wat a bait program wanting money before downloaiding drivers
- When searcing for new drivers using Windows (e.g. right clicking on the high definition audio controllers) it says all drivers are updated
- Tried running windows update to see if anything is available
In my control panel / hardware devices I can see:
"ATI High Definition audio device"
"Realtek High Definition audio"
From experiments with disabling/removing one of them (and then checking where sound works), I think Realtek is used for sound on the laptop/speakers, and the ATI one is for outputing sound through the HDMI cable.